Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Thank you for stumbling upon my blog!

Hello!
Have no fear, I will be posting some work in no time I'm sure, I am very excited to share my findings with you (being whomever is reading this now). For now, my history in the world of the arts:

I am extremely passionate about theatre and all the forms of work that apply.
I want to make the distinction as well, that if I use the word THEATRE instead of the word THEATER, then I am using it in the sense "that a theater is a venue while theatre is an art form, or that a theater is a movie theater while a theatre is a drama venue"(1.), etcetera...

Visiting a theatre and watching a play is so exciting, it makes me feel like I am walking into the world of the characters, be it in France during the revolution, or deep in the heart of the Opera Populaire. Don't get me wrong, movies and film give me the same cathartic feeling, however, theatre is so much better because you are in the flesh and leave lots to the imagination. I don't have a particular genre that I favor more, but I have a wide variety that I love, I'll give you the ones I have seen I consider top of my list (Pictured throughout post).
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserables
Kinky Boots
My Fair Lady
I absolutely love Shakespeare. I have read nearly every play, I am halfway through his sonnets and I love the use of the language. I even took a class on specifically how to read it in his iambic pentameter, where you go through passage by passage line by line to see where you need a trochee or a spondee. Now, if you understand what I am saying then, congratulations, you are also a theatre geek like me! If not, I highly recommend that you look into what I mean because it is very interesting and you would be surprised with how it relates to our language today.

Taking a class on understanding plays is a bit different but not in the slightest less intriguing to me. I want to share what I learn and hope to pass on the knowledge so that we can all be informed and know what is in the now as well as the past and how they relate. We looked at a video comparing Shakespeare with Hip Hop today. I want to share that with you now and see what you think! There is a short quiz in the beginning, how many did you get right?
The Seagull



References:
1.) http://grammarist.com/spelling/theater-theatre/
2.)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbtkLA3GrY

No comments:

Post a Comment